Thursday, October 6, 2016

The proof is in the POOF (or lack thereof)


I'd been meaning to post this for a while and kept forgetting...

So I took pictures of my midsection the day before starting the FODMAP elimination diet, just to demonstrate what a typical evening of bloating looked like. This would be most nights, not every night. But often, and would also often be accompanied by gastric pain and just general feeling of uneasiness and gas.


The first picture is night before FODMAP elimination vs. 1 week later on FODMAP elimination

The 2nd picture is 3 weeks into FODMAP elimination

I've been experiencing consistently long periods of time without GI issues like before, and when I have had them there was usually a pretty obvious culprit (white wine, too many plantain chips).


so I'm pretty happy about all this :)

Left: before FODMAP elimination  / Right: 1 week into FODMAP elimination



3 weeks on FODMAP elimination



2 comments:

  1. Hi! I stumbled upon your blog through the IBS support group website. Just wanted to say you are not alone - I have experienced most of your same physical symptoms and emotional! Same issues started three years ago and have been better through elimination of many foods. Good to feel better physically (but not perfect - just better than when at my worst) but sad to miss so many foods that I had been fine eating for the first 40 years of life! Also consider myself a foodie and grew up with food shaping family and tradition - so the past years are a struggle in that regard. BUT - I applaud you for going through these steps! You will feel better. Keep up your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Thanks for visiting the blog and for commenting! I was really hoping this would reach some people going through the same ordeals. I looked a lot for blogs and accounts when I first started and found the few very helpful so I just wanted to try to share my story too.

      Ugh, Yes... same difficult situation with me... foodie and SO culturally tied to family meals, traditions, etc. Such a tough thing to work around and sad to let some things go or realize that some foods and meals won't ever be as carefree as before you knew!

      Which foods specifically did you find you had to eliminate completely?? Are you able to tolerate any amounts of them OK? I'm very curious to see how that all pans out. I know it's super particular to each individual, but just curious to know and to hear all accounts!

      Delete