Tuesday, September 27, 2016

and today marks 3 weeks!

Today marks the day that I've been on the FODMAP elimination diet for 3 weeks. I plan to do the elimination for 6 weeks (though I might extend it to 7 or 8..) and then begin the reintroduction phase to test the groups.

It's been going SO well... I can't remember the last time (EVER) in my life I went so many days in a row without digestive / GI issues. I tell my boyfriend this and he's appalled that that's an exciting thing for me... and its not his fault to react like that! To people who deal with IBS or any chronic digestive issue (or any chronic issue at all!) it's just a given of their day-to-day life.
I often would look at him grocery shopping or prepping his food and wonder what it felt like to just eat whatever and not worry about what it was going to do to you. I still do feel that way, but a lot less. I'm SO so so so happy I've started this elimination diet. I just feel relieved knowing that there's a systematic way I can figure out what's really at the root of my issues and just avoid that thing (or minimize it... or at least know when to expect it!)

I have a sinking feeling garlic & onions are going to be revealed as culprits :(

this makes me sad because I LOOOOOVE to cook with garlic and onions, and I also LOVE to eat at restaurants and try all sorts of cuisines. I'm definitely a foodie, and restricting garlic and onions will put a damper on my foodie spirit. If it does come out that they're at fault for some of my issues, I'll obviously avoid them for the most part. But I'm hoping I can find a minimal amount that is tolerable so that if I really want to try something at a restaurant I can at least have a taste!

That's one great lesson I've learned from this process : PORTION SIZE MATTERS.
I've realized that I was totally portion ignorant. I get really excited and "into" certain foods and inhale them like there's no tomorrow. Healthy and not! I'll get totally obsessed with baby carrots, or cottage cheese, or raw celery with salt sprinkled on it, or roasted peanuts, or frozen watermelon chunks, etc. etc. And I'll just nosh on them so with abandon. I've realized even when its healthy foods, your body sometimes can't take all of that at once. So knowing that some of these things could be troublesome, I've realized I can slow my roll and decrease my portions and still enjoy them without the pain. But that's to come once I do the reintroduction :)

Anyway, I have figured out a couple things that do seem to bother me during the elimination diet and I'm staying away. Plantain chips are too starchy I guess for me. I found online that plantains were listed as low FODMAP, but each time I ate them I'd have stomach pain and bloating later in the day. Could be because I probably had 2 servings instead of 1.... again... get really "into" foods sometimes..
But I decided to just eliminate them for now and I'll test them in a small amount later.

I have been drinking alcohol here and there, and it's been OK. It definitely does irritate my digestive tract, but it doesn't do what the foods do. And I'm staying completely away from rum, fortified/sweet wines, and for the most part any beer. Beer seems to be one of those things that some say is OK and others don't. But to be honest, even if its OK.. it fills me up a lot and I'd rather just have a cocktail :)
I'm careful to order cocktails only with things that are allowed and to check that they don't include simple syrup or any other sweetener. Even though simple syrup would be OK because its just sugar, I don't want an overload of sugar at any time. Plus I like my drinks on the less-sweet side so it works fine.


NEW RECIPES:

Overnight PB&J oats :  smashed 5 raspberries, mix it with 1/4 cup oats, splash of lactose-free milk, 2 Tablespoons PB2 peanut butter powder. Leave in jar in the fridge overnight and enjoy the next day with some crushed almonds sprinkled on top :)

Banana-PB Ice Cream :  froze half a banana, pureed with a tablespoon of peanut butter, splash of vanilla and splash of lactose-free milk, then re-froze for 15 minutes. DELICIOUS!

Cheesey Oregano Chicken Omelette:  egg whites, diced chicken breast, one cheddar cheese stick grated over omelette, sprinkled with oregano

Banana Bread brown rice :  smashed half very ripe banana, mix with 1/2 cup cooked brown rice, splash of vanilla, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, splash of lactose free milk, microwave for 1.5 minutes and mix well




No comments:

Post a Comment